One of my goals for this year was to read more books. (See my list of finished books here.) FYI – I will steal your books if you leave them around me, I am not ashamed to admit this beautiful flaw. I will also display them in my house like I purchased them myself. I’ll even let you take mine. #LiteracyMatters
I’m currently reading The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business written by Charles Duhigg. This was stolen from my cousin’s bookshelf, apparently, she was supposed to read it before her freshman year at SHSU. I’m sure she didn’t read it even though her tuition paid for it, essentially, I should thank my aunt and uncle for this donation to my knowledge base.
Takeaway: make new habits often and swap books with your friends & family. My reward for crushing my morning was that I’d have time to make my own almond milk. 🙂
Why is almond milk a reward? Because I love it and rewarding yourself helps to build new habits that stick.
See more about my morning over on my Instagram account.
I was gifted a Vitamix as a housewarming gift and it’s the best thing ever! One of the main reasons I wanted it was so that I could make smoothies, juices, and almond milk.
Why almond milk? Well, I’m pretty darn lactose-sensitive (read: intolerant and in denial) so I’ve switched away from pretending that I’m a baby cow. However, most of the almond milk on the market is trash because it lacks actual almonds and contains fillers/preservatives that I cannot pronounce, along with Carrageenan, a known carcinogenic (cancer-causing ingredient). More info on Almond milk brands here.
TL;DR: I make my own almond milk and you should consider doing the same.
- 3 cups (720 ml) water.
- 1 cup (140 g) raw almonds, soaked overnight (dump this water and blend with new water in the morning).
- 1-2 pitted dates or up to 2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract. This adds sweetness.
Get the full directions on the Vitamix blog. I do not strain my Almond milk. I like the fiber, it keeps me regular. Regular is good. You should poop often.
I store my almond milk in the fridge for up to a week…if it lasts that long.
Other recipes I’ll make with my almond milk:
- Green Breakfast Smoothie – 2 cups of mixed greens, 1 apple, 1 cup of almond milk, 1/2 cup of berries, ice, and flax seeds or chia seeds. Sweeten with honey, agave, or maple syrup, if you’d like.
- Protein Post-Workout Smoothie – 1 scoop of Sprouts vegan chocolate protein powder, 1 1/2 cups of almond milk, and a banana blended with ice.
- Matcha Green Tea Latte – 1 Trader Joe’s Matcha Green Tea packet, heated almond milk, and honey.
Scriptures in my heart today
- But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. ~2 Corinthians 2:19
- For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it. ~Matthew 16:25
Be blessed. XOXO